Folks, alot of times I realize that I write some heavy stuff on this blog. Sometimes heavy, but always real. But today I was just thinking about what constitutes some the basics of the faith. What are some of the truths that captured my heart early on and got me moving along in this journey called life? Until I came to fully surrender my life to Christ, I saw faith as a very minor part of my life. In fact, the life I chose to live didn’t exactly line up with the faith I professed on Sundays and Holidays.
It wasn’t until I surrendered to God’s plan and ways that I began to experience true life. I experienced freedom from the ongoing drama that is called “life without God.” So, in looking back and looking forward, here are a 5 key ideas that really helped to get my life on the right track:
1. God loves me and has an awesome plan for my life. His plan is much better than anything that I could come up with for myself, but I have to align my life with His will and His ways. I have to learn to know Him and to trust Him even when I don’t understand. The result is what I call a “blessed life.” Not a life without hard times, but the ability to overcome in every circumstance I’m faced with.
2. I have as much of God as I want. God’s offer is open for anyone to know Him and to have a relationship with Him through Jesus. He has promised that if we would “draw close to Him” that He would “draw close to us”. Some times people stay away from God because they see Him through someone who calls Himself a Christian but doesn’t live it. They are repulsed and stay away. But I have learned that if I fix my eyes on Jesus alone, I will never be disappointed.
3. Many times, “religion” makes God seem unapproachable, but Jesus has revealed Him as our loving and good “Father.” He will heal us, take care of us, and fulfill the deepest longings of our hearts. Because of what Jesus has done for us on the cross, He has made the way for us to approach the Father boldly and get the help that we need in life. Not just on Sundays, but every day-every minute of the day; at home, work, in relationships, and for whatever thing we face.
4. God can heal our pain. If we have experienced pain the majority of our lives, it’s hard to think that God even cares. We may ask, where was God when all of this was going on? But God could be asking us the same question. Where were we? Why did we never seek his help? Why were we always running away and hiding from his prescense? Whatever pain you have gone through, God can and will remove sting of it. He can turn all of your trials into testimonies that help other people. There are people waiting to hear your story of redemption.
5. God never calls us to do something and doesn’t give us the power or ability to do it. Man, that would be cruel if he did that, but He doesn’t. I used to think God’s ways were beyond my ability to do them. I found out that I was right. I can’t do anything that He has asked of me…apart from Him. He is the vine and we are the branches. We have to live connected to Him if we are going to have the abundant life that He promised. We can’t just lip service to the things that pertain to God. We must be vitally connected to His strength and power…daily. This takes us laying down our “I can do it all without God, I’ll pull myself out of the pit again” attitude and embracing a humilty that says, “God, you created me. You know best. Help me do this thing.”
Well, this has turned out to be a long post. They are just a few things off the top of my head that I’ve learned in my journey. I hope they help you in yours. If you like it, I’ll be happy to share some more.