There are many great reasons for becoming an overseas missionary, the main reason being a solid and confirmed call of God. But there also some really bad and even harmful reasons for cross cultural service. These motives may be main reasons or even intermingled with a true calling. Here some of my top 5 reasons why not to be a missionary.
1. You love to be in charge.
2. You are running from something.
3. You’re not big on accountability.
4. You don’t like church in America.
5. You tried “real” work and it wasn’t for you.
If you are a missionary or have done missions work in the past, what would you add to this list? Why do you think it may be important to deal with these issues before you head off to the field?